- Notable about this species*
- Also known as brown ash.
- Grows mostly in moist soils or near water.
- The trunk of the tree is often free of branches for a long distance from the ground.
- The tough, durable, and pliable wood is used for interior finish-work, cabinets, baskets, and, in the past, barrel hoops.
Map to this tree.
Coordinates: 44.873366, -68.635385
* Source: “Forest Trees of Maine”, Centennial Edition, 1908 to 2008, a publication of the Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry