Northern Red Oak
Notable about this species*
- Most common species of oak in Maine.
- The acorns of this species are an important source of food for wildlife.
- The hard, strong and heavy wood from this tree is used to make furniture, flooring, dowels and much more.
- In the past, it was used in shipbuilding to construct parts such as ribs and beams.
Map to this tree.
Coordinates: 44.873766, -68.635876
* Source: “Forest Trees of Maine”, Centennial Edition, 1908 to 2008, a publication of the Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry