Notable about this species*
- Wood is light and soft, making it easy to work and carve.
- Used to make moulding, veneer, yardsticks, dowels, carvings, furniture and pulp.
- In the past, the soft wood was used to make kitchen tools: butter box molds, dough bowls, and more.
- In Germany, honey made from the flowers of this tree is prized.
Map to this tree.
* Source: “Forest Trees of Maine”, Centennial Edition, 1908 to 2008, a publication of the Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry